[Samba] guide to install samba

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Jul 14 05:32:32 MDT 2014

wel..

( when wiki is online again )

go and have a look here, its a nice starter.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/WIP/Beginner_HowTo_-_SOHO_business_server

This is a nice starter.
You can use debian wheezy but then you need to enable backports.
( or use Jessie )

For debian you have 5 choices.

1) from source, ( but my personal opinion, dont compile on production servers. )

2) debian ( wheezy ) samba 3.6.6
3) debian ( wheezy-backports ) samba 4.1.x from jessie
4) sernet samba 4.1.x

5) and in you case samba from Jessie ( 4.1.x )

If you want full functions, then jessie is the only option,
Cups as a bug, and because of that kerberos auth does not work right.  ( fixed in jessie and above )
Squid has also some bugs, use squid 3.3.x from Jessie or above.

all others, on wheezy no problem.
I run for my DC's and members sernet samba 4.1.9 now. ( started with this before samba 4.1 was in debian )
for my proxy, debian wheezy, with recompiled squid ( +ssl ) from jessie and samba 4.1.x from wheezy-backports
for my webserver samba 4.1.x from wheezy-backports.
for my print server, debian jessie, with debian samba 4.1.x
and my old server samba 3.6.6. from debian wheezy

so lots of choices, but this all works good.
It's just a choice you have to make.

But remember, Debian Jessie, is scary to upgrade, lots of changes are done in Jessie,
and you can end up with a not working debian anymore after an upgrade.
this is why only my print server is running Jessie, and now it works ok, i dont upgrade it.
at least until jessie is the new stable, or its really needed, so make sure you have good
backups if you go with Jessie.

Best regards,

Louis