[Samba] Homes shares randomly dissapear on AD-DC'S

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Wed Jul 9 02:42:51 MDT 2014

Am 09.07.2014 09:54, schrieb Achim Gottinger:
> [...]
>>>         reset on zero vc = yes
>>>         idmap config * : range = 3000000-4000000
>>>
>>> [netlogon]
>>>         root preexec = /etc/samba/scripts/user.py "%U"
>>>         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/fot.local/scripts
>>>         read only = No
>>>
>>> [sysvol]
>>>         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>>>         read only = No
>>>
>>> [profiles]
>>>         path = /data/profiles
>>>         read only = no
>>>
>>> [homes]
>>>         read only = No
>>>
>>> [data]
>>>         path = /data/data
>>>         read only = No
>>>         inherit acls = Yes
>>>
>>> [applic]
>>>         path = /data/applic
>>>         read only = No
>>>         inherit acls = Yes
>>>
>>> [printers]
>>>         comment = All Printers
>>>         path = /var/lib/samba/printing
>>>         browseable = Yes
>>>         read only = No
>>>         printable = Yes
>>>
>>> [print$]
>>>         comment = Point and Print Printer Drivers
>>>         path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
>>>         read only = No
>>>
>>> Unfortunately i have no error messages from log.smbd, had the log
>>> level increased from1 to 3 and it seems to rotate once it reaches
>>> 5MB, another thing i have to investigate now, there is no logrotate
>>> configuration which interferes here.
>>> I remember seeing errors like "service [username]not found trying
>>> [username] as a printer".
>>>
>>> Once it starts to happen for one user others can work for an while
>>> and access there home shares but they loose them in an timeframe of
>>> about an hour.
>>>
>>> Have some of you seens such an behavior? It looks kinda dubious here
>>> atm. :-)
>>>
>>> achim~
>>>
>> Hmm only differnce between main site and the branches was this
>> setting only defined at the main site.
>>
>> reset on zero vc = yes
>>
>> Added it to the branches configs, increased log level to 5 and max
>> log size to 500MB and have to wait if the issue appears again
> Good morning,
>
> So far i got called from two branches this morning, both with the same
> issue homes shares where not available.
>
> Samba services got restarted during daily backup at around 5am. An
> employee started at 7:30am and was able to work without issues till
> ~8:05am.
> Only have level 3 logs and an 50Mb limit on the two affected branches.
> Uploaded such an log snippet here
> https://gist.github.com/achim71/4b43d24b4813706a03e3#file-gistfile1-txt
>
> First ~200 lines show normal behaviour for employee vs. At line 250 it
> starts to get dubious for user md. There are alot of permission denied
> errors for chdir /home/DOMAIN/md.
> This folder is owned by by DOMAIN\md:DOMAIN\Domain-Users with 700
> perms and no additional acl's. It normaly works without any
These show up during normal behaving samba as well, the user can work
without issues atm.

> At line 576 another user (berlin) tries to log in and his home
> directory can not be resolved.
>
> While writing this i found winbind issues at my branches machines. For
> example "wbinfo -i berlin" works at the main site but not at the
> branches. Same with "getent passwd", it does not list domain users at
> the branches. ls -l however does resolve uer and group names correct.
> This does not seem to have an impact for windows users however.
wbinfo / getent passwd work at one branch and on the main site but not
on two others. I use unscd for caching, restarted it but it did not help.

/etc/nsswitch.conf is identical on all machines,
passwd:         files winbind
group:          files winbind
shadow:         files winbind

hosts:          files dns wins

smb.conf only differs in netbios name and dns forwarder.
/etc/resolve.conf points to the respective servers
/etc/krb5.conf is identical.

Was
[libdefaults]
         default_realm = FOT.LOCAL
         dns_lookup_realm = true
         dns_lookup_kdc = true

Changed it to
[libdefaults]
         default_realm = FOT.LOCAL
         dns_lookup_realm = false
         dns_lookup_kdc = true

to match with /var/lib/samba/private/krb5.conf, just in case.

samba-tool dbcheck passes clean on all servers.
samba-tool drs showrepl shows no errors.
Time is in sync.