[Samba] Samba 4 AD DC Backup/Recovery success story.

Dylan J. Morrison insidious at cyberkat.eu
Thu Jul 3 13:41:06 MDT 2014

I'd just like to report that by following the howto here
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Backup_and_Recovery step by step I was
able to move my domain controller from one machine to another by backing
up and restoring it. It worked immediately and is having absolutely no
issues. This is a great relief to me as I needed to move my DC off of a
machine that I'm no longer going to have access to, and I didn't have
the space or time to do a full partition image of the machine in question.

Hopefully this helps verify that the instructions provided do work very
well.

I did maintain the same hostname, IP, and base operating system (Debian
Wheezy), though some of the particulars changed. I also, in order to
follow the part where it says you should have identical versions, had to
use git checkout to move the cloned git samba-master tree back to an
earlier version.