[Samba] How to join a Linux machine to a Samba4 domain

Lea Massiot lmloge at orange.fr
Fri Jan 31 02:35:57 MST 2014

Good morning,

-- Rowland:

> Have you compiled samba-4.1.4 on the client as well as on the server?

No. I haven't.
The good reason is the following: I'm not going to do anything before I know
what is necessary and sufficient to make "this" work.
"This" being:
1) Joining a "Linux" ("Debian Wheezy") machine to the "Samba4 AD DC" domain.
2) Creating a share on this very same "Linux" client machine.

> If not then you need to install samba via apt-get

Which "Samba"? Which "Debian" package?
Not "samba4".
Sven Schwedas wrote: "Samba4. Preferably not the bugged and incomplete
packages shipped with Wheezy."
And indeed, "samba4" "Debian Wheezy" package doesn't work.

The howto "https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares"
is probably interesting,
except it doesn't say what has to be installed on the "Linux Debian Wheezy"
client machine.
Maybe there exists another tutorial which tackles that aspect of the topic.

-- Steve:

> The OP said that a minimal install of samba would be fine
> All he needs to do is join the domain.

That's true.
Join the domain AND created a share.

So, what is this minimal install I should do (to join the domain + create a
share)?

Best regards.