[Samba] list membership requirements (WAS: Re: Manage unix users from AD)

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed Jan 29 04:21:29 MST 2014

Hello steve,

On 2014-01-29 at 09:48 +0100, steve wrote:

> Is it possible to have any of these confirmed?
>
> 1. sssd is not supported by the Samba team

Right. sssd is generally not actively supported by the Samba Team.

(Samba Team people with knowledge about setups involving
 sssd may very well have good advice and support on these
 lists though.  This has also happenend in recent threads.
 Some advice came from people who definitively have experience
 with sssd.)

> 2. Members of the Samba team develop sssd

Well. AFAIK, _some_ members of the samba team are also developers
of sssd, but not in their role as samba developers.

(These developers have not been especially active
 in the recent threads around this topic... ;-)

> 3. Samba code is used by sssd

Sorry, I don't know this.

> 4. sssd is an alternative to winbind

As far as I can tell, this is only true to some extent.

What I can tell from the users' reports (lacking
personal experience with sssd), several important
features of winbindd in a samba domain member scenario
are not sufficiently replaced by sssd.

I hope this helps.

Cheers - Michael