[Samba] samba4 and sssd and user mapping

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Mon Jan 27 14:22:44 MST 2014

Hey Rowland,

On 2014-01-27 at 20:58 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 27/01/14 20:36, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> >On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 08:24:05PM +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> >>Thank you very much for giving me your permission to use sssd, I
> >>didn't actually know I needed it, or is this your way of saying 'for
> >>most people sssd will do what is required, without the complexity of
> >>winbind'
> >Rowland, a word of advice. Attitudes like that don't
> >help on the lists, really they don't. If you don't
> >like winbind and prefer sssd, then fine, I'm glad
> >that works for you.
> >
> >But turning up on the Samba lists and repeatedly
> >complaining about a component you're not using
> >isn't positive for anyone.
> >
> >Imagine if someone turned up on the sssd lists
> >and started complaining and suggesting winbind
> >as a solution. That would be just as inappropriate
> >(I'm assuming no one *is* actually doing that
> >of course :-).
> >
> >You're being "that" guy. Don't be "that" guy :-).
> >
> >Jeremy.
> Look Jeremy, I definitely don't want to be 'that guy' but when
> someone comes on here and virtual tries to order people not to use
> sssd because it will not work and does not give a good reason why
> not, then he is being 'that guy'.

Sorry, but no:

It is rather that the samba developers start to get sick
of some of "those guys" coming back over and over again,
bashing winbindd and spreading on the mailing list that
sssd is the preferred solution.

And nobody is "ordering" anybody to use winbindd, but please
remember that this is a samba support list and winbindd is the
samba core component that is designed and indended to be used by
default on a domain member server, so the recommendation
to use winbindd and not sssd should not come as a surprise...

You have also been given quite a few technical reasons
why winbind is the way to go (for some of us here ;-).

> Then someone else posted 'If your environment is such that sssd can
> do what you want, feel free to use it.' I am sorry to say, I just
> saw red.

Of course this was a sarcastic reply by someone who already
saw red... ;-)

Cheers - Michael