[Samba] Missing option in samba-tool user add

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 21 12:46:36 MST 2014

On 21/01/14 18:52, Chan Min Wai wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> That really depend on how system get the user information.
>
> Adding posixAccount objectclass denote that the use have access to
> linux/unix
>
> if using nslcd (nss-pam-ldapd) for example if we apply filter
> filter passwd
> (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(!(objectClass=computer))(uidNumber=*)(unixHomeDirectory=*))
This should be (&(objectClass=user)(uidNumber=*)(unixHomeDirectory=*) if
connecting to an AD server

> This will make it so that only users with posixAccount objectclass are only
> consider a linux users on the system.
>
> You can also do this by creating an extra OU and put it in filter.
> But still it would be meaningless if the users in this OU is without
> uidNumber or unixHomeDirectory.
>
> so Objectclass posixAccount force it to MUST have the following attribute.
> "cn", "uid", "uidNumber", "gidNumber", "homeDirectory"

ER, in AD posixAccount does not actually force the adding of any
attributes, in fact if you wanted to, you could add it without any of
the attributes at all.
See MS-AD_Schema_2K8_Classes.txt, where you will find:

posixAccount

mayContain: uid, cn, uidNumber, gidNumber,
unixHomeDirectory,homeDirectory, userPassword, unixUserPassword,
loginShell, gecos,description

> which make it an linux user :)
>
> Still if you are using winbind and let all users to have access to linux,
> that also can be done without posixAccount.
>
> But the main question is if windows RAT user tools will add it.

No question at all, they will not.

> If it is added by the users and computer management tools than there is no
> harm to add it in since it is already there.
>
> As long as all platform supported by winbind/nslcd which don't required
> this objectclass...
> Else we will need to add it as a backwards compatibility things.

Again you are missing the point, AD is not LDAP and anything that
connects to samba4 should do this in the same way that it would to a
windows AD server, you never know, it might actually be a windows AD
server or the info was added by ADUC or similar.

Rowland