[Samba] AD domain member with sssd: any downside not running winbindd?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Jan 21 08:25:25 MST 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 11:04 -0200, Márcio Merlone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Setting up a samba4 domain member against a samba4 ad server using
> Ubuntu 12.04 and sernet packages. AD server is OK. On this domain
> member, if I use sssd to map windows users to unix users, will I miss
> something if I disable winbindd entirely?
>
> With sssd I already have domain users on linux, getent works, and all
> seems fine. Asking for some known gotcha?

'getent works'? Stop right there. You're doing fine.

I don't know what the opposite of 'gotcha' is, but I would use it in
response to your last question. The only effect sssd gives is added
advantages.

Go ahead and disable winbind. But don't just take my advice. There may
be other opinions both in support of and against sssd;)
HTH
Steve