[Samba] Unable to join the domain, problem with DNS records

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 9 03:17:58 MST 2014

On 09/01/14 09:59, Luka Goltnik wrote:
> Dear Derek,
>
> thank you for your reply.
>

> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Werthmuller, Derek <dwerthmu at ctg.albany.edu
>> wrote:
>> Assuming that O.M.S is the full name of the domain.
>>
> Your assumption is correct.
> Also, I don't know if this is a problem, but my server's hostname is also o.
>

>> Try running this command on the samba server to verify that clients will
>> be able to find the DC via DNS.
>> #host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.O.M.S
>> The results should return the IP and name of the DC.
>>
> As you suggested, I issued the command #host -t SRV
> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.O.M.S, and this is the reply I got:
> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.o.m.s
> has SRV record 0 100 389 *o.o.m.s*.
>
> Now I don't have the record in DNS server for o.o.m.s and I think this is
> where the problem lies but I have no clue as how to solve this issue. Also
> you probably noticed, in reply there was no IP address.

o.o.m.s is the FQDN of your server, if I run the command you ran
(altered to match my dns) I get a similar answer.

>> 1) verify that the server isn't blocking the DNS port (53)
>>
> On the server DNS port 53 is accessible from my whole network and I'm
> currently not running any firewall as the server is behind firewall and is
> not accessible from outside world.
>

>> 2) Make sure that the windows client has its DNS server set to the IP
>> address of your DC.
>>
> Made sure twice. ;-)
>

>> 3) Make sure that on the windows system in the name of the domain you are
>> trying to become a member of is O.M.S  not just O.
>>
> I made sure about that, but the problem is, when joining a windows client
> into domain I get this error:
>   "
> DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record
> used to locate a domain controller for domain "OFFICE.MAVE.SI":
>
> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.OFFICE.MAVE.SI
>
> The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
> office.office.mave.si
Could you please post your krb5.conf, smb.conf, /etc/hostname,
/etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf files.
The problem, as I see it, is that samba seems to be trying to contact
'OFFICE.MAVE.SI' but you keep referring to 'o.m.s' which appears to be
the initial letters of the domain name.

Rowland