[Samba] pam_winbind fails to authenticate domain users on my debian wheezy domain member servers

Peter Schaefer peter.schaefer at gmx.de
Wed Jan 8 12:36:20 MST 2014

Am 1/8/2014 11:41 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> Hi, just to say that I set up debian wheezy in a VM and then setup sernet-samba as the OP did and I could not get
> winbind to work, I tried everything that I could think of but to no avail. I then tried to install sssd instead, but
> it would seem that if you are using the sernet samba packages you cannot install sssd. So, at risk of upsetting
> Sernet, I cannot recommend their packages at all until they stop naming them sernet-*.

What makes you think of that? I'm running these just fine:

ii  sernet-samba                          99:4.1.3-7
ii  sernet-samba-ad                       99:4.1.3-7
ii  sernet-samba-client                   99:4.1.3-7
ii  sernet-samba-common                   99:4.1.3-7
ii  sernet-samba-libs:amd64               99:4.1.3-7
ii  sernet-samba-libsmbclient0:amd64      99:4.1.3-7
ii  sernet-samba-winbind                  99:4.1.3-7

ii  sssd                                  1.8.4-2
ii  sssd-tools                            1.8.4-2

> But all is not lost, Ubuntu 14.04 will have sssd 1.11.3 and, at the moment, Samba 4.0.13 and with a bit of luck will
> get Samba 4.1.3 (this is in Jessie now). so with 5 years of updates, this will make a better platform than Debian Wheezy.

I won't hold my breath. Ubuntu LTS guarantees timely security updates only for packages in "main" and "restricted";
packages in other suites rely on "community" support and many of them have a bad track record regarding this,
unfortunately. Samba generally is in "main", but sssd is only in "universe", AFAIK.

Regards,
   Peter