[Samba] winbind: How to map Administrator to "root" on AD member server

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 17 06:58:59 MST 2014

On 17/02/14 13:36, Björn JACKE wrote:
> On 2014-02-17 at 13:04 +0000 Rowland Penny sent off:
>> Are you sure about that?
> yes
>
>> if you are, then this needs changing:
>>
>> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/winbind.html
> as written a number of times before: the information in the HOWTO-Collection is
> not maintained at all. Don't read it. Or at least don't put too much trust in
> it if you read it ;-). The HOWTO Collection will probably be removed for 4.2
> for that reason.
>
> Björn

Just because something isn't maintained any more, does not make it all
false. If you do an internet search for winbind and nscd, you will find
a lot of examples that tell you not to use winbind and nscd, they cannot
all be false.

I do not use nscd and have never had the problem that you reported, is
there anybody else out there that has? and if so, are they using nscd as
well.

All I can suggest, is that you try it without nscd and see if you get
the problem, if you do, it is a samba problem, if you don't, it is an
nscd problem. If you will not even try my suggestion, then, that's your
problem! ;-)

Rowland