[Samba] winbind: How to map Administrator to "root" on AD member server

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 16 14:57:41 MST 2014

On 16/02/14 21:24, Björn JACKE wrote:
> On 2014-02-15 at 23:38 +0000 Rowland Penny sent off:
>> 1) Samba maps the Administrator to 0
> this is what I meant when saying uidNUmber is 0.
>

>> dn: CN=SID-500
>> name: Administrator
>> cn: SID-500
>> objectClass: sidMap
>> objectSid: SID-500
>> type: ID_TYPE_UID
>> xidNumber: 0
>> distinguishedName: CN=SID-500
>>
>> 2) where are you going to get the uidNumber from??? Samba 4 does not
>> store any uidNumber's until one is created i.e. there is no
>> uidNumber to give to the Administrator.
> sorry for the confusing use of the term uidNumber, read it like s/uidNUmber/UID
> number/ :-). yes, xidNumber: 0 maps to the UID number 0, which causes the
> trouble described in the bug.
>
> Björn
You are right about administrator not being able to login because of the
home directory, but Administrator isn't supposed to login to a linux
machine, so that isn't really a problem. I personally have never had a
problem logging onto a linux domain machine as root, are you sure that
your problem isn't just a problem with your setup, after all, nobody
else has ever complained about this particular problem.

Rowland