[Samba] samba4 [homes] | canonicalize_connect_path failed for service

mourik jan heupink heupink at merit.unu.edu
Wed Feb 5 11:14:19 MST 2014

Hi Rowland, Michael, list,

On 2/5/2014 18:22, Rowland Penny wrote:
> Are you trying to mount the users home directory from a samba4 AD DC on
> to a windows machine? or from a linux fileserver (member server, client,
> etc)?
This is on a windows 7 client machine (a domain member) from a samba4
(sernet 4.1.4) AD DC. I realise it is advised not to use the DC for
filesharing. Perhaps that is my issue?

> What is the output of:
>
> (on the client)
> echo %HOMESHARE%
%HOMESHARE%

> echo %HOMEDRIVE%
C:

> (on the server)
> getent passwd USERNAME
username:*:1014:512:firstname lastname:/home/username:/bin/bash

"id username" shows all groups as expected.

I am using sssd for my linux users, but I was expecting the situation
above to be (basicaly) a samba4 <-> windows7client interaction.

Andrew Bartlett responded also very kindly responded to my question, but
since the recent sssd discussions etc, I thought I should try to use his
proposal. (the built in winbind and nss_winbind on the AD DC)

But I'm not sure where to search for the root of this issue... My own
config, sssd, sernet packages, somewehere else...?