[Samba] samba4 [homes] | canonicalize_connect_path failed for service

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 5 00:52:34 MST 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 20:19 +0100, mourik jan heupink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Meanwhile we've come many steps further, and a new issue has risen. In
> samba4 AD we have a user with:
>
> - homeDirectory \\server\username
> - homeDrive P:
> - scriptPath logon.bat
>
> When this user logs on, logon.bat is executed successfully, but
> homeDirectory is NOT mounted on P: and in the logs we see:
>
> canonicalize_connect_path failed for service username,
> path /\\server\username
>
> It seems that samba is thinking that homeDirectory should be in a
> path-form, and not a UNC? However, most (if not all?) docs tell me that
> homeDirectory should be a UNC...
>
> This is Version 4.1.4-SerNet-Debian-7.wheezy. The [homes] section:
>
> [homes]
>          comment=Home directory for %S
>          read only = No
>          browseable = No
>
> Now, if I add "path = /home/%S" to the homes section then things
> suddenly start working.
>
> Anyone else seeing this? Is this expected behaviour?

What are you using in nsswitch to resolve the user's name?

I suspect you are using something expecting pure rfc2307 attributes,
rather than the built in and rather limited winbind.  The issue is that
in AD, the attribute you want is called unixHomeDirectory.  However,
while limited, you are still best to use the built in winbind and
nss_winbind on the AD DC, which will expect home directories in the
pattern of /home/domain/user, unless you change 'template homedir = ' to
be 'template homedir = /home/%USERNAME%'.

(To others: This post is not an invitation to re-open past threads on
the topic).

Andrew Bartlett