[Samba] Troubleshooting poor performance with only Windows clients

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 11:45:17 MST 2014

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankevitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you recommend a first step in diagnosing these symptoms:

I put smbd info "full log" mode.  Then I tail -f the log and watched
while I browsed on windows.  When windows is absurdly slow, smbd is
showing smbd_dirptr_get_entry entries for every file in the tree.
This is a lot of files in my case.  I assume windows is
opening/downloading/peeking_at every file in the tree; however, I do
not know why.  The following two steps do not help:

- veto files = /Thumbs.db/
- From windows 7 explorer: "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

So I am left to wonder WTF windows is doing.

Chris