[Samba] upgrade from 4.1.9 to 4.1.13

David Bear dwbear75 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 21:11:22 MST 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 2:23 AM, Marc Muehlfeld <mmuehlfeld at samba.org>
wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> Am 24.12.2014 um 08:52 schrieb David Bear:
> > I went through the upgrade process describe here
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba
>
> Did you used exactly the same ./configure options, like in the 4.1.9
> build? Then Samba and its libraries will be installed into the same
> directories, like it was before and replaces everything.

Yes.  I  kept the configure simple (configure --prefix=/usr/local/samba)

> It looks like, some parameters were different and you're still trying to
> start the old binary.

I checked my build notes -- they are the same.

> Can you start
> # /usr/local/samba/bin/samba
> directly (bypass your $PATH variable). Or where ever you have it installed.
>
> Yes, samba did eventually fully start. I don't know how long it took to
fully launch all daemons, but I checked today and things were running.,

Here is the a weirld message.

running bin/smbstatus from my samba install I get the following:

lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
Initialising global parameters
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file
"/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"

Samba version 4.1.14
PID     Username      Group         Machine

Service      pid     machine       Connected at

Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE
Registered MSG_REQ_DMALLOC_MARK and LOG_CHANGED
No locked files

But, doing bin/smbclient -L localhost I get
 bin/smbclient -L localhost
Enter root's password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[AD] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.14]

Sharename       Type      Comment
---------       ----      -------
netlogon        Disk
sysvol          Disk
IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.1.14)
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[AD] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.14]

Server               Comment
---------            -------
A0373                A0373
HAM1                 Samba 4.1.9

Workgroup            Master
---------            -------
AD                   HAM1
BEARFAM.ORG          TYNDALE
HERITAGE             A0206
WORKGROUP            PARADON1

NOTE: the machine I am doing this on is HAM1. So why would HAM1 report
itself in smbstatus as 4.1.14 -- but on the comment line from smbclient
report 4.1.9 ? I have looked in the smb.conf file and I do NOT have that
anywhere.

Finally, I noticed that there are LOTS of left over libraries in
/usr/local/samba/lib -- from the time when I compiled samba back in June.
But there are also NEW libraries in lib from when I compiled on Dec 24.

So It appears the make install step does NOT clobber everything it should .
-

--
David Bear
mobile: (602) 903-6476