[Samba] ADDC and fileserver

Koenraad Lelong samba.k.lelong at ace-electronics.be
Thu Dec 18 05:09:35 MST 2014

Hi,

I'm planning to make a samba4 domain. My initial plan was to make the DC
also fileserver. Recently I saw a discussion strongly discouraging the
use of a DC as fileserver. That was not the first time is saw similar
remarks.
So I think I need a DC and a member server. But how does it work
concerning the "home-shares" of users ? Are those also on the
member-server ? So that needs to be configured with the user-manager ?

I now have a single samba3 PDC that acts as fileserver, serving about 30
users. This will move to the new samba4 infrastructure.

Thanks for any pointers.

Koenraad.