[Samba] sernet samba4 on Ubuntu

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 6 12:25:10 MST 2014

On 06/12/14 19:18, Donelson Trophy wrote:

> Yes, it did install a bunch of packages from the sernet site.
>
> So far all the tests are failing. Seems that Sernet put samba under
> slightly different directories so I am struggling with testing.
>
> I was hoping there was some documentation on sernet site that I was
> having trouble finding, obviously not.
>
> Give me some time. It is just different again (from CentOS howto I had
> used in the past.)
>
> I do love a challenge!
>
> ---

> Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy
>
> 615.885.2846 (main)
> www.donelsontrophy.com  <http://www.donelsontrophy.com>
>
> "Everyone deserves an award!!"
>
> On 2014-12-06 13:10, Rowland Penny wrote:
>
>> On 06/12/14 19:00, Donelson Trophy wrote:
>>>
>>> Did, as su "apt-get install sernet-samba-ad" (after adding source to
>>> repositories.)
>>>
>>> (Have a test setup on CentOS 6.6 running but it is Samba 4.3.0 **
>>> from git. Would prefer Samba version not so new as 4.3.0 so, want to
>>> change to Ubuntu.)
>>>
>>> ---

>>> Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy
>>>
>>> 615.885.2846 (main)
>>> www.donelsontrophy.com  <http://www.donelsontrophy.com>
>>>
>>> "Everyone deserves an award!!"
>>>
>>> On 2014-12-06 12:49, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>>
>>>     On 06/12/14 18:21, Donelson Trophy wrote:
>>>
>>>         I am attempting to install EnterpriseSamba (Sernet) on a
>>>         Ubuntu 14.04.1LTS server. I finding it a challenge to
>>>         determine the proper installation and configuration
>>>         procedures with sernet-samba. There are no (at least I
>>>         cannot find them) how-to's or instructions or readme on the
>>>         sernet download website. Any ideas where to find such or
>>>         guidance? (I post this here because I seem to remember
>>>         someone suggesting (to one of my previous posts) that I
>>>         should try sernet on pick my OS.)
>>>
>>>     How do you want to set it up ? AD DC or as a 'classic' server ?
>>>
>>>     Rowland
>>>

>> This should also have installed a raft of packages, mostly starting
>> with sernet- . You should be able to set Sernet-samba up just as if
>> it was the samba that comes with Ubuntu 14.04.
>>
>> Any problems, see the samba wiki:
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO
>>
>> Rowland

If you are going to provision as an AD DC, then you need samba-tool,
'which samba-tool' will tell you where it is. You can use something
similar to find the samba daemon 'which samba', once you have found
this, '/path/to/samba -b' will tell you where everything else is, but I
thought that the sernet packages installed like the ubuntu packages.

Rowland