[Samba] is SFU home directories an easy development?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 5 13:11:14 MST 2014

On 05/12/14 19:52, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-11-30 at 12:52 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
>
>>> Steve (the doesn't want to work weekends one)
>> Well, I agree with a lot of what he said, but not the way he said it,
>> what I definitely agree with, is that the samba devs seem to be ignoring
>> the platform that S4 is mainly running on, something they could easily
>> change by just getting winbindd to pull **ALL** the RFC2307 attributes.
> Rowland,
>
> Please don't say things are easy without enclosing the patch, or the
> example re-configuration.  For Samba 4.2, I'm simply glad to have been
> able to deprecate the built in winbind.  That was the only goal I had -
> change the implementation, without changing the behaviour.  Even then,
> we have a blocker bug 10720 - "error: Unable to convert first SID" that
> almost scuttled the whole idea.
>
> For better or worse, the idmap and nss codepaths in winbind are entirely
> separate, so while conceptually connected, the practice is a little more
> complex.  How much more I'm sure you can tell me when you get back to me
> with a patch, or an example config.  Then, we can start on the equally
> difficult path of deciding how/when to change the defaults, because
> breaking existing systems on upgrade also isn't fair.
>
> In the meantime, please drop this, or open a commercial support case
> with a vendor.  Repeating this over and over isn't helping.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

OK Andrew, I accept what you are saying, I am only a 'user' and do not
know how to write C code, but until you wrote 'the idmap and nss
codepaths in winbind are entirely separate', I was not aware that this
is the problem. I thought (erroneously, it would seem) that because
'winbindd' pulled (or seemed to) all the RFC2307 attributes on a member
server and when used on the AD DC pulled only the users 'uidNumber' &
'gidNumber', that it was just a small problem, I now know it is going to
be a bigger job than I thought and I will just have to wait until it
reaches its place in the todo queue.

I apologise if I have upset anybody, it was not my intention.

Rowland