[Samba] replication issues solved by adding GUID names to /etc/hosts

mourik jan heupink - merit heupink at merit.unu.edu
Wed Aug 27 02:38:34 MDT 2014

Hi Louis,

I tested name resolution using "host GUID._msdcs..." with all the
correct answers on all dc's, only ping failed.

I now notice a small (but vital?) difference between /etc/hosts on the
two DC's, and also in /etc/resolv.conf

root at dc4:~# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.87.x.y   dc4.company.com       dc4

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
root at dc4:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search company.com
nameserver 192.87.x.y5 (=dc2)
nameserver 192.87.x.y4 (=dc4)
nameserver 192.87.x.1 (=caching external dns)

root at DC2:~# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.1.1       DC2.company.com       DC2

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
root at DC2:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.87.x.y4 (=dc4)
nameserver 192.87.x.y5 (=dc2)
nameserver 192.87.x.1 (=caching external dns)
root at DC2:~#

(obviously these are /etc/hosts before I added the GUID._msdcs...)

Could these small differences (127.0.1.1 vs 192.87.x.y) and (search
company.com vs no search) be responsible for the observed behaviour?

MJ