[Samba] [samba] Samba 4.1.6 vs Win2008R2 FSMO roles

Laszlo Levente wandererc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 06:32:07 MDT 2014

Hi,

we're using Zentyal 3.4/Samba 4.1.6 on two machine for our AD domain.

We have to test the domain in "pure" microsoft environment, because a third
party storage system.
So I added DC and DNS role to one of our windows 2008R2, and joined it to
our domain. Everything's fine at this point.

Then I wanted transfer the 5 FSMO role to windows. Every role transferred
successfully, except schema master... ntdsutil said:  Insufficient access
rights (my account was in Domain Admins, Schema admins, Enterprise admins)

OK, so I tried to seize the schema master role, after I shut down the two
Zentyal DCs.
Same result (insufficient rights) :(.
Then we had to restore win2008R2 from disk image, and turn on Zentyals
again.

Then I realized that 4 transferred roles had not gone back to Samba. I
transferred 3 of them back, but I can't the naming role.

# samba-tool fsmo seize --role=naming
ldb_wrap open of secrets.ldb
Attempting transfer...
ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - Failed FSMO transfer: WERR_PORT_UNREACHABLE
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line
175, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/fsmo.py", line 160,
in run
    self.seize_role(role, samdb, force)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/fsmo.py", line 126,
in seize_role
    transfer_role(self.outf, role, samdb)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/fsmo.py", line 53, in
transfer_role
    samdb.modify(m)
# samba-tool fsmo show
ldb_wrap open of secrets.ldb
InfrastructureMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=zentyal,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=lan
RidAllocationMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=zentyal,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=lan
PdcEmulationMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=zentyal,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=lan
DomainNamingMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=win2008R2,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=lan
SchemaMasterRole owner: CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=zentyal,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=lan

I was searching in bugzilla and lists archive, but couldn't find any
relevant info.

Ran someone into same problem?

Thanks for your help,
Levente Laszlo