[Samba] Multiple Standalone Servers With Single LDAP Server

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Aug 4 09:45:59 MDT 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to set up multiple standalone Samba servers that use the same
OpenLDAP back-end database for authentication, but on any servers beyond
the first one I cannot seem to get past the error like the following:

"The primary group domain sid($SecondaryServerSID) does not match the
domain sid($PrimaryServerSID) for $UserName($UserSID)"

It seems nuts to have to set up a domain controller just to have
multiple standalone servers within the same workgroup.

If I configure the secondary server to use a local user password
database for authentication, everything works fine, but that means
having to maintain the database in multiple locations.

Is there a way to completely neuter all the domain functionality and use
LDAP _only_ for username/password authentication from multiple
standalone servers within the same workgroup?

Gordan