[Samba] Perf enhancements in Samba4.1 related to SMB2.1 / SMB3.0 protocol

Stuart Naylor stuartiannaylor at thursbygarden.org
Sun Apr 27 23:38:29 MDT 2014

I am also interested in 4.1 performance.

I am not all that sure of what M$ actually managed in terms of Lan improvements from SMB to SMB2.
SMB2's biggest improvement is to use server side copies so files are not pulled there and back.
SMB3 I guess must be DRFS server side copies where meta data changes are made.

I know SMB2 made SMB less chatty so proportionally there should be more data than control protocol.

I have no idea what figures we should be looking at has anyone got any straight comparisons of 2008r2 and SMB2 throughput as a datum?

Stuart