[Samba] join samba to himself

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 18 03:10:31 MDT 2014

On 18/04/14 09:52, Jeremy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have joined my only samba server to himself (net join -U
> Administrator) and restart samba.

When you say 'samba server' are you referring to samba 4.x running in AD
mode? if so, you do not join it to itself, it is done for you when you
provision.

> Now, I can see process when I enter samba-tool processes but the
> processes are not be working/visibles with "ps -aux".
>
> The DNS service is no more working (and it's the same for the other
> services : AD/time, ...)
>
> samba-tool dns serverinfo server
>
> ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (-1073741772,
> 'NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND')
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
> line 175, in _run
>     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py", line
> 703, in run
>     dns_conn = dns_connect(server, self.lp, self.creds)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py", line 37,
> in dns_connect
>     dns_conn = dnsserver.dnsserver(binding_str, lp, creds)
>
> Is there a solution to rebuild/restart the dns or should I use my
> backup ?

If you have a backup from before you 'joined' the server to itself, use
that, if not move everything (private & sysvol dirs, smb.conf etc) out
of the way and re-provision.

Rowland