[Samba] Samba documentation team

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Wed Apr 2 23:28:13 MDT 2014

Am 03.04.2014 00:14, schrieb Jonathan Buzzard:
> How about removing anything to do with setting up a NT4 domain and
> restricting mention of it to migrating from an NT4 domain to an AD domain.

I wouldn't do that. Surely we will have our focus on AD documentation,
but Samba is still providing the feature for NT4 domains in maintained
versions. So it should be documented, too.

> In 2014 it is bordering on criminal to be setting a NT4 domain up.
> Microsoft ditched NT4 domains 14 years ago with the release of Windows
> 2000. You need to deploy all sorts of nasty registry hacks to make it
> work on a supported version of Windows (well from next Tuesday) so lets
> consign it to the dustbin of history.

There are many real NT4 servers out there. And they all have a reason,
why they still exist. And using a maintained Samba version for providing
the domain is surely the better idea, as it is maintained and security
issues are fixed.

Regards,
Marc