[Samba] How to tell a machine is properly joined to a domain?

pisymbol . pisymbol at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 12:59:35 MDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Denis Cardon <
denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr> wrote:

> Hi aps,
>

>  I have been using 'net ads testjoin' but the issue is it seems to ask for
>> password when the box is not joined to a domain (even if I specify '-U
>> username%pass'). This *seems* like a bug - I would expect it to pass or
>> fail using the creds passed in.
>>
>> Is this by design and if so, why? Is there a better alternative? ('net ads
>> info'?)
>>

> I think that wbinfo -t should do it. It checks the trust relation ship.
>
> [root at srvfichiers.tranq ~]# wbinfo -t
> checking the trust secret for domain TRANQUILIT via RPC calls succeeded

That relies on winbind though right?

$ sudo wbinfo -t
could not obtain winbind interface details!
could not obtain winbind domain name!
checking the trust secret for domain (null) via RPC calls failed
Could not check secret

This box I'm testing on is currently joined.

'net ads testjoin' should really just do what it does today but HONOR the
'-U username%password' command line convention. Why is that wrong?

-aps (Alex)