[Samba] Understanding the difference of lock/state/cache directory

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Sat Sep 28 17:07:36 MDT 2013

Hello,

in Samba 3 I had all TDBs on one place configured through "lock
directory". Now I saw that Samba 4 split the location of the database
files into lock/state/cache directory.

*Question 1*: The manpage says "state directory" is for persistent and
"cache directory" for non-persistent data. Ok. That's clear. But what is
stored in the "lock directory" and what is the reason why its content
isn't placed in one of the other two directories?

*Question 2*: Why is the "winbindd_cache.tdb" stored in the state
directory? Isn't it just a cache file?

Regards,
Marc

This is the content of the three directories after a fresh 4.0.9 member
server installation:

lock directory:
==================
smbXsrv_tcon_global.tdb