[Samba] MAC Client - Issue Following Symbolic Links

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Sep 27 02:33:47 MDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:23:34PM +0100, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> actually a symlink it should follow.
>
> In short the Mac OSX smb clients are a steaming pile of dinosaur
> droppings which have subtly different behaviour between at least the
> following versions 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7 that makes a working
> configuration for all of them very difficulty to achieve.
>
> Fortunately I no longer have to support them :-)

Don't hold back Jonathan, tell us how you *really* feel :-).

Please remember the Mac client developers do hang out on
this list, so please make criticism constructive about
actual bugs (although I do understand the need to let
off steam occasionally). The Linux and smbclient clients
aren't so consistent either :-).

I do have a lot of sympathy in trying to write a redirector
for something as complex, subtle and ever-changing as
SMB*.

Jeremy.