[Samba] vfs_recycle folder limit management

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Thu Sep 26 21:48:04 MDT 2013

On 9/26/2013 10:24 AM, Kevin Field wrote:

> Thanks John, but I meant more so is there a way to have it look at the
> total size of the recycle dir too?  I.e. only delete stale files when it
> needs to to stay within a limit, and also even delete not-so-stale files
> if it needs to because there have been too many GB deleted lately to
> keep 30 days worth (or whatever) around?

The easiest way would be to do a for loop in bash that starts at say 90
days, does the "find/remove" command at the 90+ day mark, then checks
the output of "du -cks /path/to/recycle/bin".  Once you get below the
target kilobytes, you break out of the loop.  Otherwise you lower your
target mtime value (by 1 or by 7), delete some more files, and check again.

So nothing in the recycle bin would be older then 90 days, and it would
always stay below your target size.