[Samba] vfs_recycle folder limit management

Kevin Field kev at brantaero.com
Thu Sep 26 08:44:27 MDT 2013

On 2013-09-26 10:37 AM, Taylor, Jonn wrote:
> On 09/26/2013 09:24 AM, Kevin Field wrote:

>>> I use a script to cleanup the deleted files and run it daily with cron.
>>>
>>> cat /usr/bin/cleanupold
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> find /var/share/.recycle/* -mtime +30 -exec rm {} \;
>>>
>>> In /var/spool/cron/root
>>>
>>> @daily    /usr/bin/cleanupold > /dev/null 2>&1 #Cleanup old audio files
>>>

>>> Jonn
>>
>> Thanks John, but I meant more so is there a way to have it look at the
>> total size of the recycle dir too?  I.e. only delete stale files when
>> it needs to to stay within a limit, and also even delete not-so-stale
>> files if it needs to because there have been too many GB deleted
>> lately to keep 30 days worth (or whatever) around?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Kev
> This will find files larger than 50MB.
>
> find /var/share/.recycle/* -type f -size +50000k -exec rm {} \;
>
> Look at the man pages for find to get more options.
>
> Jonn

Hmm...that's a bit closer, but not exactly.  Maybe I described it better
on stackexchange...let me copy:

I found tmpwatch, but it's only time-based. What I'd like the system to
do is keep files as long as it reasonably can, i.e., without too much
space being taken up. The flip side is that I also don't want it keeping
files too long if it means running out of space. Thus I'm looking for
something with roughly this thinking:

1. if bin_size < limit then quit
2. delete oldest file in bin
3. goto 1.

Of course there may be a more efficient algorithm, and it could be
tweaked to prefer deleting bigger files unless they're past a certain
age so that a big delete doesn't unnecessarily result in the pruning of
a bunch of older-but-not-too-old small files.
[/quote]

Maybe I'm getting too complicated?

Thanks,
Kev