[Samba] vfs_recycle folder limit management

Kevin Field kev at brantaero.com
Thu Sep 26 08:24:06 MDT 2013

On 2013-09-26 10:20 AM, Taylor, Jonn wrote:
> On 09/26/2013 08:47 AM, Kevin Field wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Running SerNet Samba 4.0.9 on CentOS 6.4 serving as an AD DC and
>> fileshare for XP clients.
>>
>> Added recycler per the example at
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions to my
>> smb.conf.  Works great.
>>
>> My concern is that the recycle dir will eventually grow large.
>> vfs_recycle's docs mention a parameter for limiting individual file
>> sizes, but what's a best practice to prevent the whole recycle folder
>> from growing too large?  Cronjob to delete old files when the total is
>> past a certain size?  Anyone have a script handy?  (I'm hoping I'm not
>> the only one with this problem :) Seems like it would be a common
>> concern...)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kev
> I use a script to cleanup the deleted files and run it daily with cron.
>
> cat /usr/bin/cleanupold
>
> #!/bin/bash
> find /var/share/.recycle/* -mtime +30 -exec rm {} \;
>
> In /var/spool/cron/root
>
> @daily    /usr/bin/cleanupold > /dev/null 2>&1 #Cleanup old audio files
>

> Jonn

Thanks John, but I meant more so is there a way to have it look at the
total size of the recycle dir too?  I.e. only delete stale files when it
needs to to stay within a limit, and also even delete not-so-stale files
if it needs to because there have been too many GB deleted lately to
keep 30 days worth (or whatever) around?

Thanks again,
Kev