[Samba] Samba4: where are ACLs stored?

Klaus Hartnegg klaus.hartnegg at blickzentrum.de
Thu Sep 26 08:12:03 MDT 2013

Hi,

most file access rights sync between ACLs of linux and the security tab
of windows file properties, but not all. Where are the other infos stored?

I tried in linux 'getfattr -d' and 'samba-tool ntacl get', but neither
output changed when using windows to add individual right for a user
that already has rights inherited from the parent directory. Windows
remembers every detail of these changes, even after a reboot, so it must
be stored somewhere.

I'm concerned that backups might be incomplete when part of the access
rights are hidden somewhere else. Will 'cp -a' really copy everything?

Thanks,
Klaus