[Samba] vfs_recycle folder limit management

Kevin Field kev at brantaero.com
Thu Sep 26 07:47:38 MDT 2013

Hi all,

Running SerNet Samba 4.0.9 on CentOS 6.4 serving as an AD DC and
fileshare for XP clients.

Added recycler per the example at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions to my
smb.conf.  Works great.

My concern is that the recycle dir will eventually grow large.
vfs_recycle's docs mention a parameter for limiting individual file
sizes, but what's a best practice to prevent the whole recycle folder
from growing too large?  Cronjob to delete old files when the total is
past a certain size?  Anyone have a script handy?  (I'm hoping I'm not
the only one with this problem :)  Seems like it would be a common
concern...)

Thanks,
Kev