[Samba] Sernet Samba-4 Howto for Centos 6.4

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Wed Sep 25 05:18:29 MDT 2013

On 7/2/2013 7:23 AM, schmerold2 at gmail.com wrote:
> I have registered at https://portal.enterprisesamba.com, but am unclear
> regarding which packages to install for a fully functioning samba4
> installation, or if there are prerequisites such as krb5. I am starting
> with a minimal install of Centos 6.4.
>
> I can make some reasonably educated guesses, but don't want to miss
> something important.
>
> Anyone know if there is a step by step howto for installing samba4 on
> Centos using the Sernet repository?

For an Active Directory setup with sernet-samba 4.0.9 on CentOS, I
believe the only package that needs to be installed is:

# yum install sernet-samba-ad

Prerequisites seem to be:

/etc/resolv.conf
- make sure that this points at your existing Active Directory server
(if you have one)

/etc/krb5.conf
- configure this if you have an existing AD controller and test using
'kinit administrator'

[libdefaults]
  default_realm = ADDOMAIN.EXAMPLE.COM
  dns_lookup_realm = true
  dns_lookup_kdc = true

/etc/sysconfig/selinux
- set to "permissive" while you configure the server
- "service auditd rotate" to rotate the log files prior to install/setup
- "cat /var/log/audit/audit.log | audit2allow" to check for exceptions
- fix SELinux issues, then go back to "enforcing" mode

After that you can follow the instructions at either:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC

The only service that runs at startup is (AFAIK) "sernet-samba-ad".  I
am moderately sure that the other (3) services (sernet-samba-nmbd,
sernet-samba-smbd, sernet-samba-winbindd) do not need to run if you are
doing an Active Directory domain.  But I'm not certain yet because I'm
in the process of testing this in our environment.