[Samba] Log on to Samba 4 AD DC using domain user

jared.m.jacobson at L-3com.com jared.m.jacobson at L-3com.com
Mon Sep 23 10:00:30 MDT 2013

Hi, all,

I am having trouble figuring out how to log on to a Samba 4 AD DC using
any AD domain account.  Has anyone had success doing this?  If so, is
there a guide somewhere?

I have stood up a Samba 4 Active Directory Domain Controller on a Red
Hat 6.3 system, and it appears to be functioning correctly.  I have a
Windows 7 workstation, a Windows 2008R2 storage server, and two other
Red Hat servers (running Samba 3.6.9) joined to the domain, and I can
log in to all the systems except the DC using domain accounts.  How do I
configure the AD DC to allow login?

So far I've tried following the guidance in the Red Hat "Integrating Red
Hat Enterprise 6 with Active Directory
<http://www.redhat.com/resourcelibrary/reference-architectures/integrati
ng-red-hat-enterprise-linux-6-with-active-directory> ", the Samba wiki's
pages "Local user management and authentication/sssd
<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Local_user_management_and_authenticati
on/sssd> " and "Local user management and authentication/nslcd
<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Local_user_management_and_authenticati
on/nslcd> ".  I've tried following the Samba wiki page "Samba 4/Winbind
<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Winbind> ".  None of them have
worked.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jared

Jared Jacobson, CISSP

Information Assurance Engineer

L-3 Communications - Communications Systems West

Desk:  (801) 594-3669

Cell: (801) 530-9191

E-mail: jared.m.jacobson at L-3com.com