[Samba] Windows 7 32 bit doesn't "upload" the profile to the server on logout but Windows 7 64 bit does

Davide Bettio davide at uninstall.it
Tue Sep 17 14:01:17 MDT 2013

Hello,

I have a Samba 3 PDC running on SLES 11 SP3. All the machines have
joined the domain correctly, and users can log to their profiles
correctly.
On Windows 7 64 bits profile roaming works nicely without any problem
(login is just a bit slow and it takes about 45 seconds while logout is
really fast).
On Windows 7 32 bits profiles are "downloaded" from the sever correctly
when a user logs in but on logout they are not "uploaded" back to the
server. So users work on the locally cached copy without any issue but
they cannot move to any other machine because their .msprofile.V2
directory is empty.
If a new user logs in before on a 64 machine and then on a 32 machine
the profile that has been created on the 64 bit machine is used but then
is not updated on the server.
Users can write to their profile folder on the server. All the machines
have SP1 but I had this problem also without SP1. I don't see any
relevant error on any log, or any error dialog and users are marked as
"roaming".

On the server side:
I'm using ldap as backend for users and I'm using ext3 mounted with
"rw,acl,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0".
Quotas are still not used, I will work on that as soon I get everything
working.

This is part of my smb.conf:

[global]
         map to guest = Bad User