[Samba] Windows 7 and Samba

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Tue Sep 17 10:32:43 MDT 2013

Hello Geoffrey,

Am 17.09.2013 17:45, schrieb Geoffrey Myers:
> After researching win7 and samba issues we upgraded to 3.5.22.
>
> We still can not connect to shares on the RHEL 5.9 box.
>
> Odd thing is, when attempting to connect we never see anything in the logs, which makes me think its a networking issue. We've turned off the firewall on the win 7 box, but still nothing. We can ping the RHEL server from the Win 7 box.
>
> Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.

- Can other clients connect to the server?

- Is this a NT4 domain or just a standalone server?

- Is the machine joined, if it's a domain member?

- Any registry changes done on W7? See
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Registry_changes_for_NT4-style_domains
for what is neccessary and what you should avoid.

- Is there a firewall on the RHEL box or between the server and the client?

- Does Samba listen on all ports it should? See
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_port_usage#Port_usage_when_Samba_runs_as_NT4-domain

- Is Samba listening on the right interfaces? (maybe it's just listening
on localhost and not on your NIC or not on the right NIC if you have
more than one).

Regards,
Marc