[Samba] Upgrading samba 2.2.8a to 3.6.15 on Solaris 9 --> 3.6.15 brings all inetd services down

Laurent Blume laurent+samba at elanor.org
Tue Sep 17 03:45:04 MDT 2013

Hello,

Jordan Verschuer <jvsamba007 at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi samba friends,
>

> I'm upgrading our Samba 2.2.8a server to 3.6.15 on a Solaris 9 box,
>

> we need to do this as all our latest Mac OS X 10.8 clients cannot map to
> the 2.2.8a network share, and need the newer Samba (well known issue for
> mountain lion).

My first question would be, why not use the Solaris Samba? IIRC, on
S9, it was patched up to 3.something, which could be enough for your
needs.

> I've compiled 3.6.15 and this seemed to go ok, no obvious errors were shown
> during .configure make and make install,
>

> and smbd -V gives output and seems ok,
>

> I've updated /etc/inet/inetd.conf and also added the same users to
> smbpasswd,
<snip>

I agree with Marc here: why inetd? It doesn't sound good.

Also, I'm maintaining the OpenCSW Samba package for Solaris
(http://www.opencsw.org/packages/CSWsamba/).
It's currently 3.6.18 for Solaris 10. I've checked that it still
builds for Solaris 9 with no trouble.

I've put S9 packages there:
http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/experimental.html#laurent

You're welcome to try them and tell me if they work for you. OpenCSW
is focusing on S10 at the moment, but if there is interest in S9, that
could be kept running for a while.

Laurent