[Samba] Upgrading samba 2.2.8a to 3.6.15 on Solaris 9 --> 3.6.15 brings all inetd services down

Jordan Verschuer jvsamba007 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 17:28:43 MDT 2013

Hi samba friends,

I'm upgrading our Samba 2.2.8a server to 3.6.15 on a Solaris 9 box,

we need to do this as all our latest Mac OS X 10.8 clients cannot map to
the 2.2.8a network share, and need the newer Samba (well known issue for
mountain lion).

I've compiled 3.6.15 and this seemed to go ok, no obvious errors were shown
during .configure make and make install,

and smbd -V gives output and seems ok,

I've updated /etc/inet/inetd.conf and also added the same users to
smbpasswd,

and smb.conf lists the same shares and passes testparm.

However, after rebooting I can log on to swat and see that the smbd and
nmbd services are running and I can make quick changes to the
configuration, like adding a new user or updating the password, and I can
even map to the share... for about a minute!

After about 1 minute the swat/smbd/nmbd services stop... as well as all
inetd services!!

I cannot rlogin from a new terminal, or rsh or finger in the current
terminal,

however ssh still works but this isn't an inetd service.

Has anyone got a clue as to what might be happening?

I can attach log files for anyone who might like to help a samba friend out,

thanks for reading.

Cheers,
Jordan