[Samba] gracefully killing samba sessions on ctdb node restart?

Georg Muelleder schorsch at vrvis.at
Wed Sep 4 07:47:30 MDT 2013

Hi guys,

We are currently running a clustered samba setup with 3 nodes very
successfully.

The only thing that bothers me is that whenever we change permissions on
a shared directory, we have to restart ctdb on the nodes where affected
users are still connected to push the changed permissions to the hosts
by basically killing their connections and thus forcing them to reconnect.

However, this does not always work out as intended, because ctdb somehow
does not kill its respective samba processes.

I think there is a feature in SMB2(.1? I'm not sure anymore) and up
which does exactly what we try to accomplish in the fist place (push
updated permissions to the clients), but for some reason i don't
remember atm, we can't upgrade to SMB2.1 or higher.

Is there a best practice to handle such situations with "old" SMB?

regards,

Georg

--
Georg Muelleder                      mail: schorsch at VRVis.at
(Sysadmin)                           tel: +43(0)1 20501 30301

VRVis Zentrum fuer Virtual Reality und Visualisierung
Forschungs-GmbH                      FN: 195369h, HG Wien
Donau-City-Straße 1                  +43(0)1 20501 30100
A-1220 Wien, Austria                 web:<http://www.vrvis.at>