[Samba] DNS forwading for host *within* AD

George jorgito1412 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 19:57:42 CEST 2013

Hi, I am currently running Samba 4.0.9 as a DC.

My AD domain and Kerberos realm is "domain.com". Although this was not
considered when we set up the domain, now we need "foo.domain.com" to be
resolved externally by our ISP DNS server.

I tried to configure BIND as a backend and to manuallly add a zone "
foo.domain.com", type forward, but it does not work (Samba DLZ seems to be
taking precedence). Any suggestions??

A somewhat cheap hack would be to add an A record for "foo" and make a cron
script to update it with samba-tool on a regular basis. But first I would
like to get a more proper solution.

Thanks a lot.

George