[Samba] Override Linux homedir given by AD

Simon simon at calmblue.net
Thu Oct 31 04:56:24 MDT 2013

On 2013-10-31 10:45, Rowland Penny wrote:

> On 31/10/13 10:28, Simon wrote:
> On 2013-10-31 10:03, steve wrote: On Wed, 2013-10-30 at 22:27 +0000, Simon wrote: The Linux uid is pulled from the uidNumber in Active Directory Hi That's a bad idea and may explain why the homedir is not working. It's best to leave uidNumber as it is and pull uid as samAccountName. e.g. you would expect a home directory to be something like: /home/domain/simon rather than: /home/domain/30012673 Cheers, Steve
 Thanks but I'm not sure I follow, At the moment when I log on with an
AD account that has not logged in before the users home is created in
/User and then if I run the command 'id' the uid matches the attribute
called uidNumber in AD. Is this not good?

Hi, I think that there is some confusion here, uid seems to be getting
mistaken for uidNumber. uid is the usersname and uidNumber is the users
uid number (obviously), if you create a user through ADUC and then add
the UNIX attributes you get both, uid which is the same as the username
or samAccountName and the uidNumber.

Rowland

Thanks, that makes sense. Although looking through the attributes in
this AD there is no uid. I'm fairly confident that the configuration is
ok as id does return uid=xxx(username). But I might be wrong.