[Samba] Mounting Linux Samba Shares on Windows when Active Directory Server is down

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Oct 28 12:29:21 MDT 2013

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 05:42:31PM -0400, Andy Liebman wrote:
> Jeremy Alison wrote:
>
> >>  [2013/10/26 11:12:29.712417,  2]
> auth/auth.c:319(check_ntlm_password)
> >>  check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [andyl]
> >>  [andyl]> FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS
> >>  [2013/10/26 11:12:29.712475,  3] smbd/error.c:81(error_packet_set)
> >>  error packet at smbd/sesssetup.c(124) cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX)
> >>  NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS
> >>  [2013/10/26 11:12:42.348928,  1]
> smbd/process.c:457(receive_smb_talloc)
> >>  receive_smb_raw_talloc failed for client 172.16.3.129 read
> >>error
> => NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET.>
>
> > You need to be using kerberos.ntlm needs access to a
> >authentication
> server to check access,
> > kerberos doesn't (the authentication info is already embedded in
> >the
> ticket).
> >
> > Jeremy.
>
> What do you mean by "I need to be using?' Where?  Have I
> misconfigured something wrong on the Linux side or on the Windows
> side, and if so, what? On the Linux side, it looks like kerberos is
> working.   At the Microsoft support site:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555092
>
> ... there are instructions for how to verify that kerberos is
> working on Linux.
>
> 1.  Type in command prompt:  kinit some_active_directory_user.
> When I do that, I get prompted for a password, and my password seems
> to be accepted.  I get a return command prompt. I'm assuming this
> means "it works".
>
> 2.  type:  klist
> I get back info about what is in the "ticket cache".  I see there is
> a ticket for "andyl" and information about when it is valid and when
> it expires.  I assume this means it works.
>
> So does this mean Windows 7 is configured wrong?  Thanks again for
> your input.

How are your Win7 boxes connecting to Samba ? Are you
specifying name or IP address. If you're connecting
by IP address then the Windows boxes will use NTLMSSP,
only if you use a name that the Windows client can
look up to use to get a krb5 ticket will it use kerberos.

The support info you are looking at are to do with
setting up kerberos as a *client* on Linux to AD.
That's not what you're doing, you want to see the
Win7 client do these lookups instead to get krb5
tickets for the Samba server.

Jeremy.