[Samba] Restrict access to users home drives

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Thu Oct 24 13:00:33 MDT 2013

Hello Thoralf,

Am 24.10.2013 20:32, schrieb "Th. Söldenwagner":
> is it possible to hide/restrict access to the home drives of our samba
> users when accessing them directly via netbios address?
>
> The server is running at school and there are several pupils who have
> the ability to misuse this situation.

Don't simply hide something! That's security by obscurity. And I'm 100%
sure, that it will be abused. :-)

Is it neccessary, that users have access to foreign homes? Or is it just
a misconfiguration?

Here's a HowTo about setting up file shares:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares
It also describes how to configure permissions. If you use a filesystem
that supports user_xattr, you can use all ACL stuff windows provides.

Regards,
Marc