[Samba] [3.6.8] XP fails with error 1326

Winfried codecomplete at free.fr
Mon Oct 7 09:08:10 MDT 2013

Hello

I've googled and experimented for the past few hours but am still stuck
trying to simply share a temporary directory in read-only with anyone on the
LAN.

Here's the smb.conf I'm using:
==================================
/etc/samba# cat smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
encrypt passwords = yes
;wins support = yes
;log level = 1
;max log size = 1000
;read only = no
guest account = nobody

;[homes]
;browsable = no
;map archive = yes

[test]
path = /tmp
browsable = yes
read only = yes
guest ok = yes
;public = yes

Neither smbd nor nmbd show any error in the log files, so I guess things are
fine on this end.

But the share isn't displayed in XP's NetHood and "net view" returns this:
"System error 1326 has occurred. Logon failure: unknown user name or bad
password."

Any idea what could prevent XP from reading the share?

Thank you.