[Samba] getting ERROR: failed to setup guest info. But I cannot setup a guest account due to security policies

Jon West westjon at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 11:27:39 MST 2013

Sure, its a single windows share that's hosted on a windows machine thats a
part of an AD domain. This can be done by typing in the user ADusername and
ADpassword as the username and password arguments in the mount commad
(mount -t cifs blah blah blah -o username=username password=password blah
blah blah) But due to security policy we can't have people typing out their
passwords in plaintext on the screen and I can't have a password file to
look up to store those passwords, plus it would be annoying to have to go
and change the file every time a user changes their domain password. What I
would like to happen is for the user to just be able to type "mount -t cifs
//server/share /localdir" I can't have the domain passwords displayed in
plain text or transmitted in plain text