[Samba] Samba fsmo/demote/unjoin trouble after crash

Giedrius giedrius+samba at su.lt
Tue May 21 00:43:08 MDT 2013

Hi Andrew,
2013.05.21 00:46, Andrew Bartlett rašė:
> On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 10:09 +0300, Giedrius wrote:
>> 2013.05.14 18:48, Denis Cardon rašė:
>>> Hi Giedrius,

>>> On https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Backup_and_Recovery#General it is
>>> clearly stated that you shouldn't restore a DC from backup in a multi DC
>>> environment.
>> Ok, my bad.
>>

>>> Others DC have evolved since you backed up your data, and you cannot
>>> have synchronisation with the other DCs. It is not a Samba problem, but
>>> it is by design because the multi master replication between DCs.
>>>
>>> You should just re-install samba4 4.0.5 on your DC1 server, and then
>>> join it to the domain as a DC, it will synchronise and all will be back
>>> to normal.
>>>
>> But how do i force remove the old server from domain ? (Windows tools
>> and samba's net unjoin failed)
>
> Just re-join it with the same name, that does as much as we can do.  It
> isn't perfectly ideal, but it should be good enough.
Ok, but something is still wrong: drs kcc gives this:
Wrong username or password: kinit for <DC_NAME>$@<REALM> failed
(Preauthentication failed)

SPNEGO(gssapi_krb5) creating NEG_TOKEN_INIT failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Consistency check on <hostname> successful.

Some computers lost trust relationship - rejoin was necessary.
To be exact, somehow I have 2 DC's on the same site, but there never
were 2 of them. Some workstations try to use the other DC as a logon
server, although it is clearly offline and not announced on the lan.
Helps, if i set netbios aliases in smb.conf

What should be done next? Launch another samba instance and join with
the other name ?