[Samba] Windows 7 + Samba 3.5.6 = abject misery...

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon May 20 23:50:20 MDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 17:32 +1200, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 13:54 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 09:53 +1200, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> > > Can anyone help with this? I set it all up a few months ago, the samba
> > > side being standard upgrades via debian - configured as a PDC, and the
> > > windows 7 clients being clean installs, with the standard
> > > lanmanworkstation regedits done.
> > >
> > > They've been working fine since then, but have now started failing,
> > > instead raising the error message
> > >
> > >  'The trust relationship between this work station and the primary
> > > domain has failed'
> > >
> > > on the client.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions??
> >
> > One different avenue you might persue is upgrading to Samba 4.0 as an AD
> > DC.  This will bring Windows 7 back to a server it is much happier with
> > than the current situation.
> >
> > Or at the very least, consider upgrading the domain as-is to Samba 4.0,
> > running it as a classic DC.
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
> >
> It's certainly something I'm working on as a part of the squeeze ->
> wheezy upgrade, but am trying to keep within standard repos for squeeze
> at the moment. Do you have a samba one? I haven't looked.

The sernet folks maintain enterprisesamba.com with packages, but the
packages in Debian currently (even experimenetal) are not complete
packages of Samba 4.0 as an AD DC.  I'm actively working with them to
prepare a better solution for the next debian release, and users of
unstable or experimental.

> As it happens, I think the message has changed... it now can't find a
> logon server.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets

A network trace may provide more of an indication.

Andrew Bartlett