[Samba] Samba 4 Admt to other Domain Windows Server 2008

Pekka L.J. Jalkanen pekka.jalkanen at vihreat.fi
Mon May 20 23:47:54 MDT 2013

On 21.5.2013 6:56, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 11:19 +0800, wong lmark wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Samba 4 domain created and now I need to transfer all users and
>> groups to other Windows 2008 Domain.
>> How can I use the ADMT?
>
> Why do you want to use ADMT?
>
> If you just need to move to Windows, then just join a Windows DC to the
> Samba domain as DC, transfer the FSMO roles, and then offline the Samba
> DC.

Also, it is good to note that even if you can't avoid ADMT (in the case
you must migrate your users to another _existing_ domain) you'd still
need to do as Andrew says and add a Windows DC to the _source_ domain
first, because the target domain needs to be trusted by the source for
ADMT to work at all.

While Samba can be trusted by others, it currently cannot itself trust
other domains, so ADMT simply cannot work without a Windows DC in the
source.

Pekka L.J. Jalkanen