[Samba] frequent tdb corruption

Adam Thorn alt36 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 16 08:59:00 MDT 2013

> > In case it's relevant: the samba config files are stored on a
different
> > filesystem. There are a set of multiple disks which are mirrored
over
> > the network with FreeBSD's HAST (pretty much equivalent to DRBD),
and
> > the HAST devices are then combined into a RAIDZ2 pool.
>
> I think this is what Andrew was asking about.
>
> DRDB, unless you have a cluster filesystem, needs to have only a
> single machine accessing the filesystem at a time.  HAST's homepage
> says the same:
>
> "HAST works in Primary-Secondary (Master-Backup, Master-Slave)
> configuration, which means that only one of the cluster nodes can be
> active at any given time."
>
> I think Andrew was asking if perhaps you had two machine accessing the
> filesystem at once.

Ah, I see. In which case, the answer is no: it'll never have been
running in a primary/primary configuration. Also, just to reiterate -
although my samba config files are on the HAST, the tdbs are very
definitely local.

> Do you still get the corruption with a local ZFS filesystem?

I can certainly move my samba config to local disk to see if it improves
matters. I'm just curious if there's an obvious problem with having the
config files on the HAST? (given that we take every possible precaution
to avoid primary/primary situations, and our automated monitoring pays
close attention to that).

Thanks,

Adam